The Role of Her Majesty’s Lord Lieutenant
The Lord Lieutenant is Her Majesty The Queen’s representative in
West Glamorgan and his first and foremost duty is to uphold the
dignity of the Crown.
He has pledged to involve himself in all aspects of life within
the County including its civic, voluntary, business and social
The Lieutenancies Act 1997 has ensured that the County of West
Glamorgan remains a preserved County, that is, one of the Counties
in Wales as existed immediately before the passing of the Local
Government (Wales) Act 1994.
As the appointed representative of Her Majesty The Queen in the
County, the Lord Lieutenant is the first citizen in the County and
takes precedence on all occasions. The only exceptions are
occasions of municipal business e.g. Mayoral Inauguration or
The duties are many and varied but may be broadly classified
under the following headings:
- To arrange visits by members of the Royal Family and to escort
- To represent Her Majesty The Queen, including duties with the
Armed Forces and presenting certain honours, medals and
- To assess nominations for honours, both personal and for The
Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service and to encourage good
nominations for both.
- To liaise with local units of Royal Navy, Army and RAF and
their associated Cadet Forces.
- To attend ceremonial, military and wreath laying ceremonies on
behalf of Her Majesty The Queen.
- As Keeper of the Rolls to lead the local Magistracy as Chairman
of The Advisory Committee on Justices of the Peace.
- To be involved in the business, civic and social life in the
County and the voluntary sector as President or Patron of a number
- The Lord Lieutenant appoints a number of Deputy Lieutenants to
assist him in his duties and is supported by a Clerk to the
In March 2012 Her Majesty's Lord Lieutenant for West Glamorgan,
D. Byron Lewis appointed as his Vice Lord Lieutenant, Dr. Edward M.
The role of the Vice Lord Lieutenant is to act for Her Majesty's
Lord Lieutenant during his absence from the County, through
sickness or other inability to act.
There are also 22 other Deputy Lieutenants for West Glamorgan
who represent the Lord Lieutenant at his request when
The names of the 22 other Deputy Lieutenants as at January 2017
- Lt. Commander Bruce C. Bagley DL
- Mrs Jane E. Clayton DL
- Mrs Elizabeth A. Davis JP DL
- Squadron Leader Phillip C. Flower MBE DL
- Reverend Lionel Hopkins MBE DL
- Mr William T. Hopkins DL
- Mr Philip L. Hunkin DL
- Mrs Joanna L. Jenkins MBE JP DL
- Dr R. Bryn John OStJ DL
- Lt. Commander Jill E. Johnson QARNNS(R) RD, DL
- Mr Peter E. M Jones DL
- Mr Rowland W.P. Jones DL
- Major G. Lynn Martin DL
- Mr Stephanos N. Mastoris DL
- Mr Mark L. Mathias QPM DL
- Mr Kenneth R. Sawyers OBE DL (Clerk to Lieutenancy)
- Mr Peter D. Scott DL
- Mr Roger Ll. Smith OStJ JP DL
- Captain Brian J Thorne RD DL RNR
- Mr Huw Tregelles Williams OBE DL
- Mrs Carolyn Wheeler JP DL
- Mr Robert H. P Williams DL