The Role of HM Lord Lieutenant
The Lord Lieutenant is Her Majesty The Queen’s representative in West Glamorgan and her first and foremost duty is to uphold the dignity of the Crown.
She has pledged to involve herself in all aspects of life within the County including its civic, voluntary, business and social life,.
The Lieutenancies Act 1997 has ensured that the County of West Glamorgan remains a preserved County, that is, one of the Counties in Wales as existed immediately before the passing of the Local Government (Wales) Act 1994.
As the appointed representative of Her Majesty The Queen in the County, the Lord Lieutenant is the first citizen in the County and takes precedence on all occasions. The only exceptions are occasions of municipal business e.g. Mayoral Inauguration or Freedom ceremonies.
The duties are many and varied but may be broadly classified under the following headings:
- To arrange visits by members of the Royal Family and to escort Royal visitors.
- To represent Her Majesty The Queen, including duties with the Armed Forces and presenting certain honours, medals and awards.
- To assess nominations for honours, both personal and for The Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service and to encourage good nominations for both.
- To liaise with local units of Royal Navy, Army and RAF and their associated Cadet Forces.
- To attend ceremonial, military and wreath laying ceremonies on behalf of Her Majesty The Queen.
- As Keeper of the Rolls to lead the local Magistracy as Chairman of The Advisory Committee on Justices of the Peace.
- To be involved in the business, civic and social life in the County and the voluntary sector as President or Patron of a number of organisations.
- The Lord Lieutenant appoints a number of Deputy Lieutenants to assist her in her duties and is supported by a Clerk to the Lieutenancy.
Her Majesty's Lord Lieutenant of West Glamorgan, Mrs Louise Fleet has appointed Philip L. Hunkin DL and who lives in Neath, as her Vice-Lord Lieutenant as from 18 November 2020. He will serve in the role for three years.
The role of the Vice Lord Lieutenant is to act for Her Majesty's Lord Lieutenant during her absence from the County, through sickness or other inability to act.
There are 24 other Deputy Lieutenants for West Glamorgan who represent the Lord Lieutenant at her request when necessary. They are
- Mr Alan Brayley DL
- Mrs Jane E. Clayton DL
- Mrs Elizabeth A. Davis JP DL
- The Reverend Canon Keith Evans
- Wing Commander Phillip C. Flower MBE DL RAFAC
- Wing Commander Stephen M Fry RD VR DL RAuxAF
- Reverend Lionel Hopkins MBE DL
- Mrs Joanna L. Jenkins MBE JP DL
- Mr Martyn S. Jenkins DL
- Lt. Commander Jill E. Johnson QARNNS(R) RD, DL
- Mr Rowland W.P. Jones DL
- Mrs Susan A. Jones MBE DL
- Major G. Lynn Martin DL
- Mr Stephanos N. Mastoris DL
- Mr Mark L. Mathias QPM DL
- Mrs Gaynor M. Richards MBE DL
- Mr Peter D. Scott DL
- Mr Roger Ll. Smith OStJ JP DL
- Mr J. Gwyn Thomas DL
- Captain Brian J Thorne RD DL RNR
- Mr Huw Tregelles Williams OBE DL
- Mr Martin A. Trainer JP DL
- Mr Robert H. P Williams DL